A successful team is a diverse team but a diverse team is only successful if everyone is supported and able to be themselves within the workplace.
The Affinity Futures Team, comprising Dr Olivia Anderson, Dr Tshidi Gardiner and Dr Issa Robson, will be running an interactive workshop at Congress 2024, where participants will learn how to address discrimination and foster inclusivity within the veterinary workplace.
SPVS are also keen to support inclusivity, not just in the workplace, but also at Congress 2024 – click here to discover the ways in which we’re making the event as inclusive as possible.
Olivia, Director of BVCIS; Tshidi, Current Chair of the RCVS Diversity and Inclusion Committee; and Issa, Founder and Trustee of BVEDS are ideally qualified to lead our interactive workshop, Equity in Action: Understanding Discrimination and “Difficult” Employees in the Veterinary Workplace.
Chronic illness, neurodivergence, mental health difficulties, stress, burnout and personal challenges can all lead to individuals being labelled ‘difficult’. This workshop will help you examine and understand what might lead people to act and behave the way they do. You will take part in scenario based discussions where attendees will delve into real-life experiences of discrimination and challenging behaviours, examining their impact on individuals and the work environment.
Guided by experienced facilitators, attendees will gain a deeper understanding of various forms of discrimination, develop strategies for addressing incidents effectively, and be equipped with the skills to understand and address ‘difficult’ behaviours, leading to improved communication, increased team cohesion, and a more supportive and effective work environment.
Do join in our other interactive workshops running on Thursday and Friday:
Thursday 25 January
- Improving Practice Culture? Be more VIKING!: Creating your teams “Rules to Live By”– Debbie Robinson, Vetnetics
- Flexible Working: Learnings from jigsaw practices – Silvia Janska, Flexee & Sarah Armstrong
- Smarter Delegation – Fiona Nichol, VetPartners
- Coaching Techniques for Higher Performing Teams – Adam Rough, GLCM
Friday 26 January
- Wellbeing Means Business – Tracey Morley Jewkes & Mark Johnston, Vets in Mind Alliance
- Improving Productivity: Resolving your practice inefficiencies – Brian Faulkner, Colourful CPD & Richard Artingstall, Vet-CT & team members
For full programme details click here.